Saturday, February 23, 2008

THE MILLION PESO BANK NOTE

There's a really fun short story by Mark Twain that I recommend (you can find it easily on the internet for free) called THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE. Without telling you too much, this guy gets a lot of stuff for free because he only has a million-pound bill and nobody can break it. That's kind of what happens around here, but you don't need a million pounds (although I'd like to try!). Nobody wants to take big bills around here, and by big bills, I mean maybe 200 pesos, which is only $10. Forget about spending 500 or 1000 pesos. Only big purchases work for something like that. Maybe part of the reason is that people are relatively poor, and they're dealing in much smaller sums than we Americans are used to.

Nothing costs what it costs in my head. [I've written on this subject before, but it requires updating.] Things either cost more or less, but rarely is something exact on the money, so to speak. The average income in Uruguay is, I've heard, less than $10,000 a year. But you want to know something interesting? These poor people don't expect change when amounts don't merit giving out a coin. What I mean is, even though Americans count every last cent, here there isn't even a coin smaller than a 50 cent (1/2 peso) piece. I bought 102 pesos' worth of stuff at the convenience store next door the other day, and I paid with a 200. Rather than mess with giving me back all that change, the cashier gave me 100 pesos.
"No problem," he said.
Are you kidding me? No way would that have happened back in the States. From what I hear, this kind of thing happens all the time in stores, etc., and--get this--it always favors the consumer. It blows me away.

Here are some other examples of things that are way different priced here in reality than in my head: it's cheaper for us four Cukrowskis to go to the Old City (downtown) by taxi than by bus, which seems completely wrong to me, yet blue jeans cost an outrageous amount (on sale for $50-60; at the nice mall, they're $300). Back at home my hair color stuff (Revlon #42, in case you're interested) costs $3.00, but here it costs U$S 15-20 or more. It's outrageous to buy appliances here: for example, you can buy my really nice large fridge back home for what an apartment-sized one costs here.

I guess I don't really have a point tonight, other than to marvel at the generosity of the shop owners-- and really, a society as a whole that chooses not to sweat the small stuff.

5 comments:

Autumn said...

I love the convenience store guys! (I should not try to spell convenience before I'm fully awake!)

My favorite high-priced item. I think when I was buying stuff to make taco salad for our group, the total bill including the meat came to like maybe $30. Ten dollars of that... Two cans of Old El Paso refried beans, from the exotic food section of course. But you know what... TOTALLY worth it!

I didn't attend to big Oscar party last night. I stayed home and graded... Hilary joined me.

I hope you guys are still having a blast!

Karen said...

I have two cans of Old El Paso refrieds sitting in my teeny cupboard as we speak, my friend, just waiting for me to find either some good tortillas or some time to make some!

We're going to a different candombe & tango show down at the Sheraton tonight. I'm looking forward to it.

Yes, we're doing well. I was needing a little space this past weekend, but fortunately most of the kids went somewhere so there was a little breathing room.

How are you? Did you see NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN? Some great lines, but in general, I really thought it was overrated to win Best Picture.

Lots of love,
Karen

lecroy said...

John Steinbeck's The Pearl, same idea.

Did the Black Notebook win anything at the oscars? Fabo movie, all sous-titre though.

Karen said...

I don't think it won anything, Kenny. Haven't yet seen it--and remember, I LOVE subtitles, even on English films, so no problem there! I'll try to find it to rent. Thanks for the tip.

Gayla Herrington said...

Can I send you all the blue jeans Whitney has grown out of and we pay for our trip to Hawaii??
Gayla