Tuesday, February 05, 2008

PUT THE KID IN A CAGE.


-written by Krista Cukrowski

This Saturday, I went to the zoo with Dad and Katie. Dad had warned me that it most likely would be very depressing, filled with mistreated animals and such, and that I would most likely hate it. However, I really liked it. In general, it was…nice compared to what we were expecting. It turned out to be something like the Abilene Fair meets an Exotic Ranch. As Zoological Parks go, they had a very large range of animals, almost everything from rhinos to small goats (which I still don't understand the point of…you're not even allowed to pet them. Lame.).

One thing that Ken was really impressed with was that they had 3 different types of large flightless birds (Ostrich, Rea, and Emu), and they even had a penguin. (Yes, just one, and it looked like it was a bit confused as to why it was there). Ken says it was "Bizarre." Some of the more interesting things we saw were: Baby Leopards and a very playful older one, a Hippo, Coatis, Seals, Ocelots, Snakes, Guanacos, Baboons, Tigers, Parrots and Macaws, a gross capybara, tons of domestic cats that just run around freely, and some semi-attractive hyenas who were interested in catching some of those domestic cats that run around freely.

On a sadder note, our visit there was blighted by the presence of what I would have to say is the most repulsive thing I've seen so far in Montevideo. It consisted of a very obese child of about nine or ten who was continuously ramming his wide body into the fences to scare the animals. For example, the first time we encountered this disturbed child was when this really cute, fluffy sheep went up to the edge of the enclosure to get a cracker. How adorable, right? Instead of the cracker, it got whacked in the face by the moronic fat boy who was being cruel to animals. Grrrr….I really didn't like this kid, and if I knew how to tell him not to do that in Spanish, I would have, but alas….stupid language barrier.
The Abilene Zoo is definitely a much happier place than MVD's Zoo, but when you consider that admission was only 20 pesos (inexplicably, we got in for free, which we attribute to Carnaval, our fallback explanation), and the size of it, they really are doing the best that can!

Oh, and did I mention that we got cotton candy? It was good.

8 comments:

lecroy said...

Krista, you know those fancy grocery stores here in the states, where you can browse in amongst the food and it just makes your mouth water? All the food on display? To those is Uraguay, a petting zoo is the same thing there - that is why you can't pet the cabrito. I mean goat. :)

Great blog entry. You write well.

Gayla Herrington said...

Krista,
I have to tell you your cats are doing well. I have gotten to spend some extra time with them the last few days and Serious(sp?) just talks up a storm, he is telling on Crookshanks. I have semi stopped them from using the living room as a litter box. Crookshanks has been a little haughty lately, but he seems to like Whitney so I let her pet him.

Gayla

Autumn said...

I enjoyed the zoo too. We thought the chickens and cats wandering everywhere were really funny. One of the llamas fell in love with the guy we were there with. It followed him everywhere. (It was a big meandering cage.) It was hilarious.

Karen said...

Autumn, I know which cage you're talking about. That's hilarious.

Gayla, Thank you for taking care of my babies, even if they are naughty and haughty!

O'Kenny, I prefer to think of cabritos as friends not food! Haven't you ever seen Bambi?
Your friend (not food, see?!),
Krista

lecroy said...

Krista,
Acts 10:13
Arise Peter, kill and eat.

But, have Karen tell you about Sundance Kid - our pet goat. We never ate him, promise.

O'Kenny

Beth Purcell said...

If I had to choose between a Spanish Superbowl (or really, the English one for that matter) or the zoo, it would be a hard pick. Both experiences include watching stinking wild animals make weird noises. Yum.

I too, have seen your black kitties (I had to accompany Gayla to hunt for keys or something- I don't know). Gayla claims that it was her radio "trick" that has kept them from using the bathroom in the living room, but it is really because we (and by "we" I mean me, Serious, and Crookshanks) had a little "talk" about personal hygiene, being polite, and using the restroom in more appropriate places. I think the talk worked on Gayla too :)

Karen, I hope you are on your Biggest Loser track (though right now, I'm not but I'm gonna). Sorry you've been sick.

dlecroy said...

When I'm in Uruguay, let's track down the fat kid and chunk him in with the tigers!

Karen said...

Krista's response to O'Derek:
Oooohh, fun! That'll show him... he, he, he!!!