Wednesday, January 23, 2008

ASHES TO ASHES


Pictured here you can see the city center's main feature, a HUGE statue of Jose Artigas, who is so famous that every other street, square, and company is named after this man I had never even heard of. So who was this guy?

Artigas had been a soldier of the colonial guard, which protected the western Uruguayan borders from occasional Indian or Portuguese attacks. He became famous when he became Uruguay's benevolent dictator, believing that government should include not only the fancy-pants people but also the lower classes and Indians. One can only imagine how the people in power loved these innovations—not!—and when the Portuguese invaded Uruguay around 1820, Artigas was forced into exile in Paraguay for the last thirty years of his life.

I missed how he actually died (I think it was an anticlimactic death by old age) or how his ashes came to be housed right smackdab in the middle of Montevideo, but there he is in the urn in an underground mausoleum that's guarded 24 hours a day. Guarding this guy must be the most boring job in the world, because
(a) he's not going anywhere;
(b) I don't think anybody wants to steal him; and
(c) one of the two guards we saw was actually falling asleep standing up. It's cruel I know, but it was HILARIOUS watching him bob and snap, as he waged his own battle on behalf of the leader Artigas.

Just for the record, I too want to be reduced to ashes someday, and yes, I get that I will be whether or not I choose. But I really don't want to be buried; I have instructed my family to cremate me—and definitely don't keep my ashes on the mantelplace next to the lost TV remote.

Why cremation over a coffin? First, I think most cremations are great (a notable exception is General Artigas, whose remains and tomb take up an entire town square) because why should dead people take up a lot of space; second, I like the idea of going in one big conflagration instead of slowly rotting (I especially hate the idea of worm and maggot infestation); and third, I want my ashes poured out somewhere nice—or maybe many somewheres nice, like at a little vineyard in France or in your garden or a little bit in a library somewhere. Doesn't that sound nice?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to be reduced, not necessarily to ashes, just reduced. I just logged on to see if yall were there yet and yes you are! I'll keep checking. Have a great time. BTW Krista looks like a coffee loving hippy from the 60s! Keep us posted!

Love you all!

Lisa

PS I'll register with blogger later...i thought i had already done this grrrrr for now im just anonymous

lecroy said...

Cremation - the ultimate rapid weight loss program available anywhere. Ask for it by name.

Autumn said...

Hey... so an interesting fact we found out when my grandmother died. Scattering ashes is technically illegal. I believe it is considered littering. Isn't that funny?

So who is Artigas? I'm not sure I ever heard his name...

lecroy said...

and yet all of us suddenly know more about artigas than the guard napping at his side!

Generalissima Francisco Artigas, who was commonly called F.Artigas was a bean barron. He invented refritos - refried beans. It was tasty, fattening, and had an annoying side effect - and forever will he be remembered by this side effect.

We salute you, fartigas.

And if you believe that one...

bonn said...

Hey Cousin! Sounds like it is going well so far! I also wanted to be cremated, Neptune Society is great service provider -- and yes, you can elect to be scattered at sea. although I have not asked them about the Mediteranean Sea, yet! Enjoy, keep blogging, and love eery minute of this great experience.

Love, Cousin Bonny

Gayla Herrington said...

I love your random posts, you go from coffee to ashes. Hey, do you think there are ashes in coffee?
I want to be cremated, but my family is old school and won't let me, so one of y'all steal my coffin and burn it for me ok. Or better yet, put it in with Artigas, I want to be guarded.
Gayla

Karen said...

Hi Bonny! It was great hearing from you now, and it was GREAT seeing you and your parents at Grandma's 90th birthday festivity! I'm sorry we didn't get to talk all that much, but such are group gatherings!
Lots of love,
Karen

Karen said...

Gayla, the only thing about stealing your ashes and then going and having some burning ceremony and then putting you in Artigas' urn is---you're the person I would do all that stuff with! Remember, Laverne AND Shirley all the way!!!

Plus, I'm planning on selfishly dying before my family and friends, so I don't have to grieve them. Good plan, don't you think?

X-Phile said...

I'll burn Gayla's body. Katie and Krista and I like fire....

Anonymous said...

Well there is a mystery solved, perhaps.

When I was eight, we moved to a house in the lovely tract of "Sunset Hills". All the streets had names and ours was "Calle Artigas". We asked all the Spanish speakers we knew what "Artigas" meant, but alas, no answers. Once, I found a Spanish dictionary entry that indicated that it meant "little burning hills" which, being Southern California and right next to wilderness was an inauspicous name, but a lovely thought for a tract named "Sunset Hills".

But now, I can see, that it was probably named for this important Uraguaian General.