Thursday, January 24, 2008

FOOD WE'RE EATING HERE, Part I




The food we're eating is good—and not just because it contrasts SHARPLY with what we were eating the last couple of weeks back home (notable exceptions so far are tripe and blood sausage, but they're in another blog). Before we left Abilene, we decided to eat everything we could from our freezer and pantry to turn off our fridge and save electricity while we were gone. So we had some interesting combinations and "meals" as we decided what to eat and the least-disgusting way to prepare it: "Surprise, family! Tonight we're having black-eyed peas, walnuts, feta cheese, and yogurt!"

So for today's entry, I'll just tell you about a few food items.

Red Bell Peppers: really expensive back home, but less than $1/lb. here. I have served them in salads and have cooked them into my spaghetti sauce so far. We had a whole one grilled down at the meat market place. They are absolutely delicious.

Yogurt: The yogurt is amazing, like a dessert. So we're eating it as a treat. The brand we like is almost like real whipped cream, and we like the Forest Berry type to stir in with it.

Anything Raquel makes: I know you're feeling sorry for me, but there's a wonderful cook here who prepares seven meals a week--and we onsite families are welcome to eat with the students. She prepares a hot breakfast on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings, and she makes lunch Monday through Friday. Poor babies--we're on our own for dinner and all weekend meals. Not bad, eh? I'm sure I'll be updating you on more of Raquel's specialties, but let me give you a little hint--the word rhymes with "b-empenada."

7 comments:

lecroy said...

All that food definitely sounds better than a ketchup souffle. Not much of a comment, I tried really hard to come up with a funny rhyme to empenada, and came up with ... nada.

Karen said...

Oooo, I'm going to use that NADA thing as a joke with Raquel the next time she makes empanadas, which I hope is tomorrow! I'll tell her that's what happens--she makes empanadas, and we make them become nadas! (My repertoire of jokes I can tell in Spanish is, as of this new idea I'll steal, well, limited to this one only!)

Autumn said...

Hahaha Nadas.

I miss Raquel, Mariella, and their cooking. Please give them my love. And can you get Raquel's email for me. I lost it.

Anonymous said...

Here's a standard joke:

Someone says: Empanada

The other says: Empa ¿qué?

Reply: Nada

Ha, ha, ha (or ja, ja, ja since you are laughing in Spanish)

---Tim

Karen said...

Autumn, here is the info you want for Raquel: raco_maranata@hotmail.com

Today she made some kind of white fish, and it was great. We are planning to eat like Catholics here and have fish on Fridays! We also had potatoes, a delicious chopped parsley and garlic topping to go with the tartar sauce, canteloupe (yummy!), broccoli, salad, and chocolate cake with chocolate sauce. So much for dieting!

Anonymous said...

Catholics in Argentina never heard of not eating meat on Fridays. Guess they didn't dare push that one in such a carnivorous country. They do abstain during Easter week, stuffing themselves on other delicacies instead.

---Tim

lecroy said...

If I ate like a Catholic on Fridays I would eat whatever I want but feel oddly guilty about it. Not too much difference sometimes between catholic and COC, huh?