Monday, January 28, 2008

FALSE FRIENDS

Among the many mistakes I'm making in Spanish, which are too numerous to count, some are simple, little things and some are muy grande. Some words both look and sound like English words, but they really don't mean anything like one another. Sometimes, people refer to these errors as "false friends." "Embarazado" and "Ingles" are like that; if you say you are "embarazado" about something because you are embarrassed, you are actually saying you are pregnant! Or, if, like one of our students Colter, you are telling people about your "ingles," about your speaking English, you're actually talking about your groin muscles; this he did for awhile!

But I'm not saying anyone else is making more errors than I am; after all, I talk a lot, so I'm probably making the most mistakes of anyone! The simplest errors for me are Spanish words that look like English, visual cue errors when I read the word; by that I mean that when I see the word "con," I can't help but think it's against something, but it really means "with," pretty much opposite in meaning. Similarly, "once" still should be followed by "upon a time" to me, but it's the Spanish word for eleven.

Don't even get me started on my errors of the ears; over and over in church yesterday (for the record, I estimate I understood about 6 per cent tops; I gathered that the sermon was about God's love for Gentiles as well as for his chosen, Jewish people), I heard corramos, "let's run," which was immediately followed each time by… no, not a jog, but a prayer (after all, prayers do make more sense in church!). But my ears weren't hearing "orames," which means "let's pray"; they heard a word I knew instead. I'm sure I also heard the preacher say several times something about "una cigala," which I looked up in my dictionary. It means "Norway lobster," which I don't understand even in English, so I'm pretty sure he didn't say that. Once I did figure out— after the fact—that I had heard French, "a mort," meaning "dead" or "died," when, of course, the preacher wasn't speaking French; he was using the verb to love, "amor." Duh!

A harder, yet supposed-to-be-simple, word is "maƱana," which can mean tomorrow or in the morning, depending on the words around it, words I may or may not catch. So someone may be talking about something going to happen next week in the morning, and I think the event's tomorrow. Problem.

This false friend discussion reminds me that I've been a false friend to people too at various times through the years. I hate all the hypocritical, nasty, and petty things I've let myself do or think over the years, and I regret them. And I am thankful for my true friends, such as Gayla, my family, and others, who have remained faithful to their flawed friend through the years.

5 comments:

Rosalinda said...

Oh, Karen! You made my day! It felt like I got to slip away from Abilene for just a few minutes and be there with you... I am really, really proud of you, too, for how much you are understanding!!
*HUGS*

Gayla Herrington said...

Yeah, sometimes even in English we don't understand each other. Uh! I am glad we don't have to speak spanish to each other, we would not be false friends, we would be crazy friends, oh wait! we already are.
Oh well!

Autumn said...

When I first went to aerobics they kept saying lindo (pretty) whenever they wanted us to do something slow. I thought... "Huh... that's funny I guess sometimes we use pretty to mean slow sometimes... but not in a nice or movement kind of way."

Eventually I came across the word lento (slow). OH... that's what they were saying!

Dario thinks this is one of the funniest things ever.

Karen said...

FYI Autumn, still haven't met Dario. Fabricio taught last night's Pump class. He's just great, everything you said he was. Usually when somebody talks something up so much, one is in for a letdown--but not this time!

Karen said...

Rosalinda, your baby girl is doing wonderfully here. Last night, she, Sarah Sims, and I were the only ones who didn't go to the soccer game (she wanted to, but there were no tickets; I had a ticket, but sold it to Mike, who hadn't gotten one); so we did our Spanish homework together and watched Evita (the musical), because we had all just seen the Argentine Eva Peron movie. It was lots of fun. Thanks for letting her come to Uruguay!