Thursday, January 31, 2008

DON'T IT MAKE MY BLUE EYES HURT


Not only is it the height of summer here, but the sun is simply stronger in Uruguay, closer as we are to the equator and, according to what I've heard, under an actual hole in the ozone layer—so more UV rays get through. I wear 60 SPF sunscreen and I've still gotten a little burnt each time I've been out; the students run around with no sunscreen to about 30 SPF, and after last week's trip to Punta del Este, there were MANY red faces and bodies (this week there are several leprous-looking, peeling body parts among us).

In contrast, the people here have such beautiful and beautifully-adapted-to-the-sun skin. There really IS something to that Latin Lover thing; there are so many physically lovely men and women—and the babies, oh my word, are gorgeous. But lest you think that everyone is similarly brown-colored, let me dissuade you of that thought. There are people as fair as I am (though I've seen nobody as freckled, lucky them), and there are people about as dark as Katie is (I would say that's maybe the majority), and there are people significantly darker. In general, beautiful brown eyes with long lashes prevail, and, as I've seen everywhere I've traveled outside the United States, people are much thinner than Americans. On the streets, I'm often the only one wearing sunglasses, because my blue eyes actually hurt outside here without them, especially during the middle of the day. Don't I wish my blue eyes weren’t?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Closer to the equator? I'm hoping you're not teaching the Geography class there. :-) Unless you're not comparing it with Abilene.

How hot has it been? I would imagine Montevideo to be humid in the summer; is that so?

Hope you are well.

Autumn said...

Hmmm... yes I thought the Uruguayans were really attractive too! I miss you! Are you having fun? Do you know that your computer keeps sending me the same emails over and over!

Anonymous said...

All right, fine, distract me from my work. Here you go:

Abilene, Tx: 2232 miles from the equator
Montevideo: 2396 miles from the equator

So actually, that extra 164 miles should give your eyes some relief! :-)

Now I'd REALLY better get to work.

lecroy said...

OK, someone has too much free time, calculating miles to the equator. That is my kind of geek!

So why is it that Hispanics in general blame their "heritage" for being so grossly overweight in america? Evidently Dr. Atkins was right, just like Acts 10:13 was right - we should be meat eaters primarily, not bread twinkie tortilla eaters.

Karen said...

Well Tim, I wrote a whole long comment back to you about how you're right and yes, I AM teaching Geography, and it's always been a terrible subject for me and how now it's even worse, because there are all these new countries and capitals. :)

And then Blogger ate my comment.
Phooey.

Peace,
Karen

Anonymous said...

I couldn't pass up the chance to give you a hard time. If I hadn't lived in Córdoba, which is almost precisely the same distance from the equator as San Angelo is, I wouldn't have known that. Even as it was, I had to check.

Either way, I'm absolutely envious of your getting to be there. It's not Argentina, but it's awful close!

Gayla Herrington said...

Ok here's my question, is Karen going to the gymnasia with the girls every day and working out as a part of their p.e. time? That would be a really good idea, and oh by the way, I have now lost 7 pounds! Ha! Ha!Ha!. Karen keep those eyes covered we can grow old together and do things as Laverne and Shirley, but I think our families my draw the line at some of our antics if one of us was blind.
Gayla

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying reading about your adventures. Thanks for sharing!


P.S. Are you having trouble with your email? I've sent you several emails but haven't heard back from you.

Karen said...

Candace, welcome to the blog! I'm so sorry you haven't received my e-mails. I can receive them, but I'm having LOTS of trouble sending them. Our internet goes down all the time too. Re: the job; it's yours if you want it! You're doing a great job with the church secretary thing; keep up the great work! :)