Monday, March 24, 2008

THE ANNOTATED PERU QUIZ

We're back from our FABULOUS Spring Break (really, Fall Break for us) in Peru, and now to jumpstart us back to school, I think we all should take a test. So here goes:
1. Which one of the following foods that we tried was gross?
a) goat b) guinea pig   c) alpaca (like llama) d) ceviche (a raw fish dish) e) all of the above

2. What is the favorite soft drink in
 Peru? ________

3. Which of the following characteristics describes drivers in Lima?
a) courteous 
b) excellent 
c) patient 
d) all of the above 
e) none of the above

4. True or False. Karen is too old to stay in youth hostels anymore.

5. A trip to Machu Picchu is _________.
a. worth a thousand words
b. fabulous
c. expensive
d. rainy but still perfect
e. all of the above

6. Which of the following wool products smells bad when wet? a. alpaca b. vicuña c. llama d. sheep e. all of the above

7. There are well over ________ types of potato in Peru.
a. 10 b. 100 c. 1000 d. 10,000 e. one million

8. Fill in the blank. The name of the tall, peaky mountain in the middle of Machu Picchu is ______.

9. The view from our room in Cusco ___.
a. was breathtaking
b. only cost us $18 a night 
c. meant a hard walk uphill
d. all of the above
e. none of the above

10. True or False. The water is potable in Peru.

Annotated Answers
1.b. Guinea pig (pictured), called cuy, tastes exactly like what Krista thinks rat must taste like. The other foods were all yummy. In fact, Peruvian food has spice and lots of taste in general (unlike the bland food that Uruguayans eat).

2. Inca Cola. It's marketed by the Coca-Cola Company, which seems to own everything in Peru not already stolen by the Spaniards. My family loved it too, and Krista bought an Inca Cola t-shirt; she will be in mourning over not being able to get that drink, which tastes like a cross between cream soda and Big Red.

3.e. Oh my goodness. If you want to collect your life insurance, just drive around Lima for awhile. I've seen bad driving in say, Manila, Paris, or Rome--
this is a whole 'nuther league. Another little factoid for you: 1 in 7 cars in Lima is a taxi.

4. True AND False. It depends, because our hostel in Cusco was fantastic (we slept there 5 nights) and our hostel near Machu Picchu was more than adequate as well. In our hostel in Lima (only one night fortunately),
however, our room-with-only-kids-we-know didn't work out, and Ken and I had to share with other folks, one of whom was drunk, dirty, mostly naked, snoring, and yelling in his intoxicated stupor. Horrible. I'm only staying in hostels when we get the whole room from now on.

5.e. Machu Picchu was incredible. We LOVED it. 
We will probably drive you nuts with talk of it. We can't say enough great things about our two days there. A bit of trivia for you: the word "Inca" means "King." Also, for 
the birders out there, did you know that over 10% of all the bird species on earth can be found in Peru? Well, now you know.

6.c. Llamas smell bad, period. You'll be glad to know that any wool souvenirs we bought were all made of alpaca, which is softer than llama as well. Because 54% of Peruvians live in poverty, we bought almost all of the gifts we'll be taking back to folks in the States on this trip. We bought directly from the makers, instead of through middlemen, and we met some awfully nice people along the way.

7.c. There are over 1000 different types of potatoes found in Peru, and countless ways to prepare them. When I say types of potato, I mean that there's one variety that has blue skin and orange inside, another that has a red skin and an orange interior. All the potato dishes we tried were tasty.

8.Wayna Picchu. Good! 
You're doing just great on this quiz! 
Ken and Katie climbed this peak the second day, while Krista and I settled for the city of Aguas Calientes and a mountain that translates to"Happy Mountain."

9.d. We LOVED our hostel in Cusco. [For the record, it was called Samay Wasi Peru (I DON'T recommend the one in Lima, only the one in Cusco); we heard of people paying LOTS more money for what we got.] Cuzco is South America's oldest continuously-inhabited city, having been the seat of Incan and then Spanish power for hundreds of years. It is packed with Incan ruins, tiny little beautifully-paved roads, and over-eager, annoying street salespeople.

10. False. I hope that somebody from the Gates Foundation is reading this blog (unlikely), because somebody with some money needs to give these people potable water. I KNOW the money won't be coming from the Coca-Cola Company, because they also sell almost all of the bottled water in the country, which one must use even to brush teeth. For the record, I really only missed two things about Uruguay while we were away: one was delicious, drinkable water, and the other was
 my FAVORITE drink ever, even better than Diet Coke, Paso de los Toros Light, a light, grapefruit soda sort of like Fresca but way better.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great. Now am I not only jealous of my wife for going to Argentina, I'm jealous of you guys for going to Machu Picchu.

Now test your Spanish. What modifications can schoolchildren make to the name "Paso de los Toros" to create giggle after giggle?

Hope you guys are well.

Grace and peace,
Tim

Autumn said...

Hey! Sandy King and I enjoyed giggling over your blog. I may have to go next time. Have you heard? It looks like I'm going to get to go again Fall '09. :) :) :)

I'm sorry you had a gross hostel roommate. We tried to always take up one room and thought we had in every place. Turns out it didn't work out that way in Valpairso. Luckily I and 5 of my females students had a very nice clean cut young man from Columbia stay with us. He assured me that he was a computer programmer not a drug dealer. :)

I miss you! I'm glad you guys had fun! I'm still very jealous! Give everyone my love.

Are you still going to the gym? Maybe I should write you a real email.

lecroy said...

I was in blogdrawal. I checked every day, just to think about you, even though I knew you were out of blog business for a week. Great blog entry - really one of your best ever. I got a 50 on your test, BTW. Raw fish is good? Alpaca is good? You amaze me. What a fun family. Wish I was related to you.

Oh wait....

Anonymous said...

11. True/False: it is possible for an American to say "Sacsayhuaman" without making either Peruvians or other Americans laugh at them.

Sounds like a good trip; glad you got to go. Now I finally have people I can have Did-I-mention-I've-been-to-South-America conversations with, hopefully to the great irritation of bystanders.
Nate

Karen said...

Tim, I still haven't figured out the Paso de los Toros variant that's funny, but don't tell me yet. I'm still workng on it!

Autumn, I'm so excited you get to come back! You are very loved here, just so you know. You made a real impact on the church and Casa ACU; it's so fun to be here in your "wake."

Kenny, thanks for checking up on the blog even when you knew I couldn't write. You're sweet to read my musings. A week and a half without internet access is a long time these days! I'm WAY behind on e-mails as well.

And Nathan, welcome to the blog! Yes, there were many "Sexy Woman" jokes among us last week. In fact, that site was just up the hill from where we were staying. (Unrelated news: we're only two episodes behind on LOST, so I can ALMOST offer some opinions as to what's going on...) :)

Katrina said...

Do you love Paso de los Toros Light even more than Diet Polar Orange whatever its called?????