Monday, March 24, 2008

H2O


I don't like to swim. I get seasick when I cross the English channel or when I go whale-watching. I even prefer to drink Diet Coke (or Paso de los Toros!) to water. But I love to be near the water. I like the way the pool outside my house in Texas casts prisms of color on the ceiling.
I love the sound, the feel, the very waterness of water. We're practically surrounded by water here in Montevideo.
I even like canoeing or rafting on it, I who am the antithesis of an athlete.
We (the 14 of us who went to Peru for Spring Break)
went rafting on the Urubamba River outside of Cusco, and we had a great time. The Urubamba, by the way, goes to Machu Picchu, and it runs into another river that then runs into the phenomenol Amazon River. We rafted for about 2 1/2 hours, but the trip took all day, what with the hour-and-a-half bus ride each way, the delicious lunch they fed us, the instructions we received in order not to die on the rapids, and the putting on and taking off of wetsuits.

In about a week and a half, we will go to Brazil and see IguaƧu Falls. More water. I love it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful trip you are having. I check every day as I'm sure lots of people do. I sure missed you when you were off--even though Ken said you would not be blogging for a while.

lecroy said...

I put on a short wetsuit this weekend to keep up with the kids in the pool. Those guys on TV with huge muscles under the wetsuits must be truly enormously muscled. I looked like a small fat seal. Actually I was afraid a great white would eat me like popcorn shrimp at any moment I looked so much like a seal.
In the amazon river area.... Let me think. Pirhanna, other mean fish, viruses that the only cure is to burn the victim, make it to the river's edge - ants the size of guinnea pigs, spiders the size of small dogs, big cats, and then humans. You are braver than I thought.

Karen said...

Yay Sharon! You're on the site! Ken tells me you read the blog, but I LOVE it when people comment. So, thanks!

And Kenny, you crack me up, you and your "small fat seal" comments and the like! :) I wasn't exactly looking fabulous in mine either!

Gayla Herrington said...

Karen, I love water too. It is so relaxing. I am not sure about the coca plant though, given my family situation! I too was going through Karen blog withdrawal until today when I was home sick and was able to check in. I was glad to see three posts that I hadn't seen before and the pictures of the family help me to reconnect. I would like to see a few pictures of you though. I know you are the one taking pictures. Tell the family Hi and I miss them.
Gayla

Karen said...

Gayla, that's why we built you a pool! Sorry you're sick. Get well soon! :)

Autumn said...

Good times!!! Whitewater rafting is so fun! I'm glad you had such a good trip!

Karen said...

Autumn, for your "Spring" Break trip in the Fall of '09, I HIGHLY recommend Machu Picchu, since you didn't get to do that last time. However, you need to start saving your pennies NOW, which is why I'm saying it now. :) (Or, alternatively, will you have enough miles saved perhaps to use for the flight from Montevideo to Lima by then?) Just thinking...

Autumn said...

I've been trying to decide whether to go to Macchu Picchu or to see the glaciers in Southern Argentina.

I do have the frequent flier miles, so I'm definitely keeping it in mind... I don't know if I'd go by myself though...

Of course if I can trade my sole for cocoa leaves... I may have to...

Karen said...

Guess what? We have been looking at going down south to the glaciers as well, but ... we can't! Turns out that hey, it's becoming winter here, and even the penguins leave the part we could go to!

I think several students would go with you if you choose to go to either place. 14 of us went to Machu Picchu; two went to Southern Argentina/Chile.

And frequent flier miles rock! :)