Sunday, June 26, 2005

Pater Familiae

Rome was beautiful; it’s breathtaking to be somewhere where so many places pre-date Christianity. We stayed in the heart of Rome, close to the Piazza Republique and accessible to everything. Ken’s Father’s Day present was getting to spend the whole day with the girls, since I got separated from them and didn’t meet back up until 5:30 at our car/hotel. It was the first time we didn’t have a planned place to meet if anyone became separated from the others (yes, Tara, I know you told us to have one!). What happened was this: even though we left pretty early for the Vatican museum line, it was still over a kilometer long (yes, you read that right!), so I left to send off my corrections to a book I edited while at the monastery and to send my blog update and pictures. By the time I returned (I had major problems sending my documents), K3 were in the museum, so I hung out at the exit, talked the guards into letting me in the back to find my family, missed them anyway, went to St. Peter’s, missed them again, missed their call to my cell phone, and…and…and… you get the point. Anyway, at 3:30, I gave up and went book browsing. Ken’s, Katie’s, and Krista’s day had gone similarly, filled with near misses as well. They had a great day anyway. We met up back at the car, and were we ever glad to see one another! I was delighted that the girls have such a great dad, so I wasn’t worried about them, just missed seeing part of Rome with them all.

No comments: