Saturday, May 13, 2006

Zdrast-vuyt-ye! Hello from Russia

Hey guys! We're here in Russia! I can't get my cox webmail to come up nor Karen
s myacu.edu e-mail, but Ken's is working. Next, I'm going to try IM, but I'm not hopeful! We'll see, but I'm going with this as long as it's what's working right now.

It took forever to get here, and, so far, our luggage hasn't yet arrived. :( We actually didn't expect it to, because our flight from Detroit to Frankfurt was an hour late in landing, and we only had an hour and ten minutes layover there. So, you should have seen Ken and me hoofing it through the airport; we stepped onto the last transit thingy to the airplane, the doors shut, and that was it. We had a sneaking suspicion that our bags weren't moving through the airport system as fast as we were! As you can well imagine, Ken was in much better shape for such an adventure than I was.

So, we're hoping to be able to wear something clean to church in the morning; we do, thank goodness, have a toothbrush and toothpaste.

Our room here is great; it's just like a little hotel room, but it's on the same floor as the Church of Christ, so in the morning we will exit our room door, turn right, and walk down two more doors to the service. We're smack-dab in downtown St. Petersburg; Ken and I just got back from a nice walk around to see what's what and to try not to fall asleep until 9 or 10 o'clock, so we can get on the right time schedule. It's 9 hours ahead here, and we each got 3-5 hours sleep each of the last two nights .

They had GREAT entertainment options on the long airplane flight over, however, which was nice if you were too cramped and miserable to sleep (which we were). We had our own personal video screens with about 15 or 20 movie selections for free; you could also play video games, listen to music, etc. Ken and I watched the new Woody Allen movie, Match Point, which was good but not great. Then Ken watched the new King Kong while I slept a little; I woke up from my night's sleep (told you we didn't sleep much) in time to see the big Empire State Building scene/ending.

In the morning, it will be Mother's Day, and there's nothing I've enjoyed more in my whole life than being my mother's daughter and Dad and I becoming parents to our two girls.
Mom/Karen

2 comments:

whitneyherrington said...

hey Ken and Karen, I am so glad to hear from y'all so soon.Greg says hi. I hope y'all have an awesome time and you know we love ya.

Jay said...

Glad you guys made it okay. Amy and I missed you in Abilene this weekend for graduation, but I guess I can forgive you for letting Russia take higher priority than seeing us this past weekend. :)

Hope yall have a great time over there. We'll catch up with you later.